The funny thing about bees are that a lot of people that believe that they are vital to human survival. It goes like this: No Bees = Not Enough Insect Pollinators = Less Grains, Fruits & Vegetables that will grow = Starving Humans.
So now you want to help save the human race, but you don’t really like bees and you definitely do not want to create your own colony . . . What ever can you do?
- Put out water for our pollinating bees. Like all living things, bees need water to survive. Instead of a bird bath, give them a bee bath. Keep it simple with shallow sloping sides and a few rock islands in the middle.
- Don’t use poisons in your garden or yard. I am talking about pesticides or herbicides. There are some pretty good natural remedies available online or you can create your own.
- Plant a bee friendly garden. Bees love a wide variety of flowering plants for nectar and pollen. They take this delicious food back to their hive to feed the new bees and make honey. If you can tolerate it let the dandelions grow. The longer you have flowers in your yard or garden the better for the bees.
- Mason bees are you friend. They are actually about 95% more efficient at pollinating your garden. So buy or make a Mason bee house. Plus a great bonus is that Mason bees don’t sting.
- This is a yummy solution. Support your local beekeepers by buying their honey and other products.
Save the bees and save the world.